Tomato French Onion Soup
Here is a variant on the Quebec signature soup that we saw on a newspaper web site, and altered to add the special things that make Quebec French Onion Soup the unique dish it is. It adds a can of diced tomatoes to the traditional recipe. Think of Tomato French Onion Soup as something like the ‘Manhattan’ version of traditional onion soup.
Ingredients and Preparation
- Start about an hour before serving;
- Serves 4 to 6, depending on portions. The recipe can be easily scaled up. The soup itself refrigerates well for a few days. In fact, it’s often better if refrigerated, and left for a day before serving
|Red onions, thinly-sliced||1.25 kg (about 8 cups)|
|Chrushed garlic cloves||Two|
|Butter||45 mL (3 tbsp)|
|Beef broth||1 package (about 1 L)|
|Diced tomatoes||1 can (400 mL – 14 fl. oz)|
|Bread (sourdough or whole wheat)||Slices to cover each bowl|
|Flour||30 mL (Two tablespoons)|
|Port or red wine||125 mL (Half-cup)|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 to 2 tbsp (to taste)|
|Blend of grated cheeses: Mozzarella, cheddar, and possibly Gruyere||At least ⅔ cup per bowl|
- In a pot large enough to prepare the soup, saute the onions in butter and flour until transparent, usually about 15 minutes. Season lightly with some salt and pepper;
- Add garlic to pot, and cook with onion briefly. Add beef broth and diced tomatoes. Add bay leaves. and Worcestershire sauce. Add wine;
- Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and let simmer at least 30 minutes. An hour or two is even better;
- If you intend to store the soup broth, bottle it in glass and let cool before refrigerating it up to a few days;
- To serve, re-heat the soup broth if it has been stored, or transfer the hot soup to onion soup bowls if you have made it on the same day;
- Top each bowl with slices of bread to completely cover the surface of the bowl. Top the bowl with the blend of grated cheeses. Be generous with the cheese;
- Bake the bowls at 425°F (220°C) for 12 to 15 minutes. The mixture should comes to a boil, and the cheese should just begin to brown. Serve immediately.
French Onion Soup should be paired with a dry red wine, such as Cabarnet Sauvignon or similar. Serve with a hearty salad, and French bread. You have a meal in itself.