A high-energy recipe for guys!
Game time, and need some energy? This is the sauce to serve with spaghetti or the pasta of your choice, complimented with a salad, crusty bread and a nice red wine. It is also low-sodium. This is a sure-fire family favourite.
- Start three to four hours before serving;
- This recipe will generously serve four hungry people;
- For a nice variation, try a blend of half-and-half lean ground beef, and lean ground pork;
- Fresh pasta, crusty bread and a dry red wine complement this recipe best.
|Olive oil||15 mL (1 tbs)|
|Medium-size onion, finely chopped||1|
|Small garlic cloves, finely chopped||3|
|Lean ground beef||450 to 500 grams|
|Diced tomatoes||1 large can (about 800 mL)|
|Tomato paste||1 small can|
|Black pepper||1.25 mL (¼ tsp)|
|Paprika||1.25 mL (¼ tsp)|
|Cayenne (Red) Pepper||Small dash|
|Tabasco sauce||2.5 mL (½ tsp)|
|Sugar||5 mL (1 tsp)|
|Worcestershire sauce||Generous dash|
|Balsamic vinegar||5 mL (1 tsp)|
|Red wine or port||50 to 60 mL|
|Italian spice mix: rosemary; marjoram; oregano; basil; summer savory; thyme; tarragon and .two or three bay leaves||Dashes of each to taste|
- Sauté onions and garlic in the olive oil in a large saucepan on high heat until the onions are transparent, stirring regularly;
- Add the ground beef, and brown the beef, stirring regularly until the beef is broken up;
- Reduce heat to medium;
- Add the diced tomatoes and tomato paste, stirring until well-mixed;
- Add the seasonings, stirring frequently;
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 2 to 3 hours. Stir regularly.