Creamy Cucumber Salad
Though it goes naturally well with our lighter summer fare, this delicious cucumber salad can be made year-round. It is a great palate-cleanser when you cook spicy or Indian foods. During the summer, we use our own garden-grown cucumbers. From the supermarket, fresh seedless English cucumbers do the job just as well.
- Start two to four hours before serving;
- Serves 4 to 6, depending on portions. The recipe can be easily scaled up. Cucumber salad refrigerates well for a few days.
|Large cucumber (sliced or shredded)||One|
|No-fat sour cream||2,150 mL|
|No-fat yogurt||100 mL|
|Chopped mint leaves||12 to 20 leaves|
|Garlic granules||About one teaspoon|
|Fresh dill||Chop and add to taste|
- Using a mandolin, thinly slice or shred the cucumber into a medium-sized bowl;
- Cover the dish, refrigerate, and allow to stand for between two and four hours. The cucumber will lose some of its water;
- Drain off the fluid, and stir in the garlic granules, dill, sour cream and yogurt, mixing thoroughly;
- Finely chop the mint leaves, and incorporate into cucumber mixture;
- Garnish with a bit of paprika for colour, and serve. Diners can use a small side bowl with a dessert spoon to enjoy it.